AAAAI CME Mission Statement
1. The purpose of the AAAAI’s CME program is to provide, and ensure the quality of, educational activities that will develop, maintain, update, enhance, or make more clinically effective the study and practice of allergy, asthma, and immunology.
2. The content areas of the AAAAI’s CME program include any topic within the research, clinical, or administrative domains of allergic or immunologic diseases that impacts the study or practice of the specialty.
3. The target audience for the AAAAI’s CME program includes allergist/immunologists, related specialty physicians, and primary care physicians, as well as nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other allied health professionals.
4. The types of activities included as part of the AAAAI’s CME program include: a national Annual Meeting; regional, local, and other live conferences; and an array of written, audio, video, and multimedia enduring materials utilizing a variety of traditional and emerging information technology formats. The AAAAI supports the concept of establishing joint providership relationships with organizations whose goals are compatible with those listed in this Mission Statement.
5. The expected results of the AAAAI’s CME program are to advance either:
- learners’ competence in the field of allergy, asthma, and immunology, measured by their ability to accurately describe, interpret, and utilize the concepts presented; OR
- learners’ practice of the clinical specialty of allergy, asthma, and immunology, measured by self-reporting of changes in practice behavior attributed to their participation in CME activities.
Approved by the AAAAI Board of Directors – April 3, 2019
Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest
The AAAAI Code of Ethics describes the circumstances in which members must provide disclosure of the financial and organizational relationships. One of these is for individuals involved in continuing education activities. The Standards for Commercial Support of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) further specify that all individuals who can control the content of a continuing education activity – both activity planners and faculty members – must provide disclosure information, and that the disclosure is reviewed, and conflicts managed, prior to the activity taking place.
The AAAAI Disclosure Policy defines the types of relationships that are to be disclosed. For continuing education activities, disclosures are reviewed by the Continuing Medical Education/Performance Improvement Committee. If a conflict of interest is identified, the individual will be presented with the steps that must be taken to manage the conflict so it does not adversely affect the educational activity.
AAAAI members are expected to update their disclosure records by April 30 of each calendar year, or when the details of their disclosure records change. Disclosure information can be submitted and edited in the AAAAI Online Disclosure System.
Licensing of AAAAI Educational Content
AAAAI will consider requests to license its educational content to outside entities for distribution to other learners. To make a request, please email email@example.com with a description of the content you wish to license and the audience you wish to serve.
Visual presentations delivered via PowerPoint or other technologies and handouts are essential components to quality continuing medical education. It is not uncommon for faculty members preparing educational materials for use in activities sponsored by an organization such as the AAAAI to include limited materials copyrighted by another party.
Although limited use of select portions of copyrighted materials of others may be permissible under applicable copyright law, it is the policy of the AAAAI to exercise the utmost effort to respect the proprietary rights of authors and other creators of medical education content in AAAAI-sponsored activities.
Attached below are 3 documents outlining the AAAAI policies for use of copyrighted materials. If you have specific questions about incorporating outside materials into a AAAAI-sponsored activity, please contact the education staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|AAAAI Copyright Policy - Live Activities||208.02 KB|
|AAAAI Copyright Policy - Enduring Materials||315.1 KB|
|AAAAI Disclosure Policy 2021||459.23 KB|
|AAAAI Teaching Slide Procedures||497.62 KB|