2021 Revised E/M Coding Guidelines: 99202-99215: Practice with Patient Cases
As part of its efforts to reduce burden and improve payment for cognitive care, CMS is implementing key changes to office and outpatient evaluation and management (E/M) services, effective January 1, 2021.
The AAAAI has created this online opportunity to practice evaluating patient cases and coding visits based on medical decision making (MDM) and/or time. It will take approximately 20 minutes to work through all four cases.
For each case, you will
- Read the visit description.
- Select the appropriate level for each of the three MDM elements.
- Click the checkmark in the bottom right corner to submit your decision.
- Select the E/M based on either time or the components of MDM.
Upon completion of this activity, learners will be able to:
- Evaluate a patient encounter and determine the appropriate level for each of the three MDM elements
- Select an E/M code for the encounter based on time or medical decision making (MDM)
Sharon B. Markovics, MD FAAAAI
Vice Chair, AAAAI Office of Practice Management
Member, AAAAI Board of Directors
Teresa Thompson, CPC, CMSCS, CCC
AAAAI Coding Consultant
PLEASE NOTE: CE and CME are NOT available for this program.
One of the two latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari. Internet Explorer is no longer supported.
Note: Links within the course will open according to your internet brower settings, either in a new tab or new window.