The NHLBI 2020 Focused Updates to Asthma Management Guidelines: An Overview
In 2020, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) released Focused Updates to the Asthma Management Guidelines. The evidence-based updates were based on GRADE methodology and were written by the National Asthma Education and Prevention Program (NAEPP) Working Group. Members of the NAEPP Working Group wrote this module, which outlines the 2020 Focused Updates to the Expert Panel Report 3: Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma (EPR-3), published in 2007. This module provides insight into the meaning and practical application of the guidelines.
Topics covered in this focused update:
- Fractional exhaled nitric oxide (FENO) in diagnosis, medication selection, and monitoring of treatment response in asthma
- Remediation of indoor allergens (e.g., house-dust mites / pets) in asthma management
- Adjustable medication dosing in recurrent wheezing and asthma
- Long-acting antimuscarinic agents in asthma management as add-ons to inhaled corticosteroids (ICSs)
- Immunotherapy and the management of asthma
- Bronchial thermoplasty in adult severe asthma
- Nurses and Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Assistants and Other Allied Health Professionals
- Other Physicians and Trainees treating asthma patients
- Outline the 2020 updates to the NHLBI Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma
- Identify how to apply the guideline updates to patient care situations
Alan P. Baptist, MD MPH FAAAAI
University of Michigan, Division of Allergy, Ann Arbor, MI
Relevant Relationships: Takeda, Novartis: research grant
Kathryn V. Blake, PharmD
Nemours Children's Health, Jacksonville, FL
Relevant Relationships: NIH: research grant
Edward G. Brooks, MD
UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
Relevant Relationships: none
Robert F. Lemanske, Jr., MD FAAAAI
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI
Relevant Relationships: none
Michael Schatz, MD MS FAAAAI
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
Relevant Relationships: ALK, Merck, Teva: research grant; UpToDate: royalty
The information disclosed by the course authors was reviewed in accordance with the AAAAI Disclosure Policy. All potential conflicts of interest were mitigated by the authors and reviewers prior to their participation in the development of this activity.
Stuart L. Abramson, MD PhD AE-C FAAAAI
Shannon Medical Center/Shannon Clinic
Relevant relationships: None
AAAAI Disclosure Policy
Pursuant to the Code of Ethics for the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) and the Standards for Commercial Support of Continuing Medical Education of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education, the AAAAI requires disclosure of certain information from faculty members of educational activities designated for CME credit by the AAAAI. Prior to the activity, authors and reviewers are required to disclose all relationships that meet the following parameters:
- Employment: Name of employer and job title.
- Financial interests: All organizations, other than the employer, from which the faculty member or a member of his/her immediate family or household receives annual remuneration in any amount (including grants, honoraria and consulting fees).
- Research interests: All organizations which support research projects for which the faculty member or member of his/her immediate family or household serves as an investigator.
- Legal Consultation Services/Expert Witness Testimony: All topics on which the faculty member provided legal consultation and/or expert witness testimony during the previous calendar year.
- Organizational interests: All organizations, other than the AAAAI, for which the faculty member holds volunteer positions.
- Gifts: All organizations from which the faculty member or a member of his/her immediate family or household have received a gift of any amount in the last year.
- Other interests: All interests of the faculty member or a member of his/her immediate family or household that would be judged by a majority of his/her peers to be more than casual and/or likely to impact his/her ability to exercise independent judgment. This includes any financial interest in or relationship with any manufacturer of a commercial product, and any financial interest or relationship with any organization that provides commercial support to AAAAI-sponsored educational activities.
The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Credit Claiming Period
Credit claiming for this activity will expire at 11:59 pm on June 1, 2024. Requests to claim credit on or after May 31, 2024 will be denied.
Follow these steps to complete the activity:
- Register for the activity.
- Review the CME and Disclosure information.
- Complete all required components.
- Complete the post-test if applicable. You must achieve a score of 70% or higher on post-tests to claim credit.
- Complete the activity evaluation.
- Claim your credits. Enter only the number of credits earned based on your participation in the activity.
- Print or save your certificate.
- 0.50 AttendanceAttendance credit.
- 0.50 CMECME credit.
By registering for this educational activity you are confirming that you have read the Privacy and Data Protection Notice and agree to the terms as outlined below:
Privacy and Data Protection Notice
The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) takes your privacy seriously. AAAAI will only use your personal information to administer your registration, attendance, and credit claiming/attendance record for this activity, to provide services that you have requested from AAAAI and otherwise as you may expressly consent. A complete copy of AAAAI’s Legal and Privacy Notices, the terms of which are incorporated herein, can be found here.
By providing consent, you are allowing AAAAI to process your personal data. AAAAI will collect and store information you provide in the Registration/Housing Forms for the purposes of enabling us to register your attendance at the activity; to assist with administrative, planning and marketing purposes; and to allow the compilation and analysis of statistics relevant to AAAAI.
The information you provide in the Registration/Housing Forms, and information provided at any other time during this activity, including without limitation any feedback obtained during the activity, will be used by AAAAI to offer, provide and continue to improve its educational activities and other services. The AAAAI will also use your email address to communicate important information regarding this activity and for marketing purposes for future activities. AAAAI will not otherwise, without your consent, use or disclose your personal information for any purpose unless it would reasonably be expected that such a purpose is related to the offer, provision and improvement of the activity or where such purpose is permitted or required by law.
For courses/events with industry support and/or exhibitors, The AAAAI may disclose some information that is collected in the Registration Form such as your name, credentials, title/position, organization, and mailing address to exhibitors and industry supporters for marketing purposes such as to receive mailed literature. In addition to, but separate from, your consent regarding being contacted by exhibitors and industry supporters with mailed literature, when you visit sponsored areas within the virtual platform for an online event (such as, but not limited to, an exhibitor’s virtual exhibit booth), that organization will receive your personal contact information (name, credentials, title/position, organization, mailing address, phone number, email address and NPI number, if applicable). If you do not want to share your personal contact information with any/all of those organizations, please do not visit those areas within our virtual platform. By accessing any/all of those areas in our virtual platform, you are consenting to share your personal contact information with all organizations whose sponsored areas you visit in our virtual platform. If you attend this activity in person, and provide your contact information to an exhibitor or industry supporter (including allowing them to scan your name badge), you are consenting to share your personal contact information with that organization. You have the right to decline an exhibitor and/or industry supporter’s request for your personal contact information. AAAAI does not control the use or distribution of personal contact information transferred when you visit a sponsored area in the virtual platform or, if in person, when you share your personal contact information, and as such, AAAAI shall not be held responsible for any misuse of your personal data obtained by exhibitors or industry supporters in this manner. You have the right to ask the exhibitor or industry supporter questions about how they will use your personal data, how long it will be retained and if they will share information with third parties.
After you have submitted your personal contact information in the registration form, you may change your preferences for receiving emails by following the instructions below:
· To change your preferences for receiving emails from AAAAI regarding future annual meetings and/or other in-person and online education programs, please visit http://aaaai.execinc.com/edibo/Profile
· For events where industry support or exhibitions are involved please email firstname.lastname@example.org to change your consent to be contacted by the industry supporters and exhibitors of that activity.
NOTE: AAAAI may be photographing this activity. These photographs, along with your name, may be used in AAAAI publications or on the AAAAI website. If you do not want your photo used, please inform the staff photographer at the time the photograph is taken. AAAAI may also be audio recording education sessions during this activity. If you verbally submit any questions for Question & Answer sessions (Q&A), you are agreeing to be recorded and to have that recording available in enduring materials. If you prefer not to be audio recorded, please submit any questions you have in writing.
I understand that it is my right to withhold consent to the above Privacy and Data Protection Notice, or to withdraw my previous consent at any time. I further understand that without my consent, it is not possible to process my registration/housing request for this activity. Please contact the AAAAI Education Team at (414) 272-6071 if you have any further questions about how this will affect your registration/housing request for this activity.
One of the two latest versions of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari. Internet Explorer is no longer supported.
Pop-ups must be enabled in order to access all course content. The interactive course will pop up in a new window.